Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Visit From Mickey

Welcome to my blog!

I've been living in Monrovia for almost 9 months and FINALLY decided to start up a blog about my experiences.


Some will be old excerpts from my journal entries and others will be commentaries, bios, and current events.
Ideally, this particular kind of story wouldn't be the best way to start out a blog but it's more recent so I just had to share it.

So, last Saturday night, at 2:30 am, I woke up to a banging sound. I had a slight fever and had been feeling groggy so I figured it was just a lucid dream and went back to bed.

Here's the timeline of how things went after that:


3 am: Another banging. This time, I crawl out of bed, lock my bedroom door and grab a flashlight. Fall back asleep.


4 am: Scratching noises. I turn on the flashlight and see something crawling under my door and across the room.

4:00:05 am: Freaking out.


4:15 am: More scratching coming from the waste basket. Flashlight on. Rat chewing the bamboo waste basket!!

I scream and jump on my bed. Rat crawls into the waste basket. Flashlight off. Panting. Shaking


4:17 am: Flashlight on. Rat is STARING AT ME!!!!!! I flash the light in its face and it scurries over behind a suitcase. I run outside.

It’s pitch dark outside but thankfully, we have 2 security guards on night shift. My housemates are all out enjoying their Saturday night. Why did I stay home? Damn this fever.

I sat outside in my boxers for 2 hours in the cold, getting chewed up by mosquitoes and dodging bats from a nearby mango tree. I sat there until the sun came out to break the dawn.

Y’all might think I was crazy for doing all this. I mean, it was probably just a mouse. It had round ears and it wasn’t THAT big. But think about it. Would you have gone back to sleep on a floor mattress so Mickey could nibble on your ear??


Another crazy night in Monrovia. More crazy (and probably more intellectually stimulating) tales to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment